Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Creative developments..mural..italian song..& possible project

(picture of a DH-house that will be renovated..they buy lots of houses like this and renovate it)

Dear friends,


Another week in Damanhur.. One update per week doesn't really cover all the experience I have here, but I love sharing some of the things with you. Let's start with today.. I have started working on a mural. A few weeks ago I had already made a sketch for it. It's in the "new life room", this is the room for all the people who have the three months stay here. We have courses in the room, or just spend time reading, working, Skyping. We wanted to change the room a bit to add some of our energy to it. The way I have gotten to know the community life thusfar also means: asking yourself what is your unique contribution to the group. In what way can I step forward and give to the collective? 


For instance, one person of the group (Karen) has knowledge of eco villages, has been a teacher and has written several books (on bicycle rides). She participates in a project in Damanhur to write new material for the courses on building ecovillages and for the new life group she has written a document full of useful information for new arrivals. Someone else contributes by giving acupuncture treatments to anyone that could benefit from that, another gives healings..etc. Of course you also contribute to the group by just being there, by the things you say or the energy you give (for instance introducing a group hug in the morning etc etc). My contribution has been singing and painting up till now. 


Yesterday was a really nice example in that perspective, at a goodbye party of one of the group. Some of us asked me to sing a song at the party. I had brought my guitar, but I didn't feel very comfortable at that moment. I didn't want to steal the light from someone else who had just sang a song and I just felt a little shy. Maria-Pilar and Karen said very audible...'Karin Karin...you sing yeah yeah!!'..I replyed, a little in stress, 'no no hush hush..be quiet..I don't want to!' Then Karen looked at me, smiling, and said the memorable words 'This is not about you, you have to do it for the group!' Think about this remark what you want, but I am grateful for it. I sang two songs, one Italian song I had written the day before (of which I was a little proud to be honest..I mean..in Italian :-) and that was really great. People were so happy with this contribution to the evening. I feel grateful that the people around me encourage me to show my colors. I know this, and here it is put in practice, you have the responsibility to step forward in life. Your talents don't just belong to you. If you can, express it, use it. 


Today I decided to make the mural. And it is going nicely! I will certainly post a picture as soon as it's ready. And definitely the most exiting news and experience of this week has been my appointment with someone who is working on an giant international project here. I might be able to hook up in the field of my own expertise, writing story's (in pictures, music, book-form, etc) for children. I'll keep you informed of course.


About how I feel, I'm doing well. Emotions go up and down now and then, because it is quite exiting to be in a place with a total different culture, where most people speak a language I don't feel free in yet, and although I'm surrounded by many people, I really walk my own path here and because I am so exited about this place I am also sometimes confronted with a little nostalgia. The idea and experience of living my life here on a distance from people I love so much. 


Well, that's it for now! Some more pictures here, of my room in the nucleo, one of me when I was walking around in the mountains near Vidracco and the last picture is of a nucleo that is covered with solar panels, solar heating etc)






Much love!
With you!
Karin

2 comments:

  1. awwwwwww....... much hugs and love... sounds so excited and such a transformational period for you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Your experience reminds me of some words of wisdom coming from Marcus Aurelius, who said that if you do good you should tell the world about it. How else can people know about it and benefit from your work?

    Nice pictures btw. Google told me that 'mural' means wall painting. So I guess we can expect more pictures when your mural is ready!

    ReplyDelete